Water Damage Repairs
Water damage can occur in a variety of ways. There are a number of factors that come into play with water damage. The kind of water, how long it was in contact with water and what was done afterward all make difference.
What kind of water was it?Fresh water vs salt water makes a difference. Salt water is worse and is more corrosive due to the added ions in the water which conduct electricity
How long the device was in contact with waterThe longer the device is in contact with water, the worse the chances are of recovering your data or device.
Is the device getting hot?If you didn’t turn off your device right away or plugged it in, there is a good chance there is a short in the logic board which isn’t fixable. A good sign of this is if your device gets hot doing everyday tasks. We generally don’t recommend fixing a device if it’s showing this symptom.
What did you do afterwards?Never charge a device that has come into contact with water. Always turn off the device ASAP and bring it to a shop that can disconnect the battery - you do not want an electric current running through a printed circuit board. Even if you turn off your phone, your battery is still connected on the inside of the device and has the potential to short circuit.
What should you do after water damage?
- Turn the phone off immediately
- Do not try to charge of use the phone - this puts you at a bigger risk of short circuiting your phone. Even if it has been a day, there is a good chance the inside is still not dry.
- Physical damage such as but not limited to dropping the device, dropping something on the device, or putting excessive pressure on the device.
- Putting your device in rice doesn’t do much. You can test this empirically. Put a test tube of water in a closed container with a couple cups of rice. How much water is sucked out of the test tube? The answer is not much. What is better than rice at absorbing water? A paper towel. Get it in the hands of a technician that can physically dry out the device.
- Bring it to a repair shop so a technician can disconnect the battery and dry out the device.
- We do not charge you anything if we’re not able to fix a water damaged device. This is why we don’t travel for water damaged devices; they’re not always fixable. However, if they are, we only charge $129.99 to get your data off the device or to backup pictures, of the iPhone. If we are able to fix the device, the $129.99 includes that as well. If there is more wrong with it such as a screen, the cost would be more depending on which iPhone you have.
- Unfortunately with water damaged devices, we do not offer a warranty since water damaged devices behave unpredictably and sporadically. Your device may last a couple days be good indefinitely. There isn’t a good way to know for sure.
- We only offer water damage as a data recovery option. If your device is abled to be fixed, that's an added bonus and neither is something we guarantee due to the unpredictability of water damage.